The Award: Recognising Courageous Leadership
The Mary Chirwa Award Foundation together with Nudge aim to recognise individuals who have a proven record of courageous leadership in a field related to one or more of the Sustainable Development Goal(s).
The winner is awarded US$5,000 for their cause and is invited to a ceremony at the Peace Palace, in The Hague, the Netherlands.
Who is Mary Chirwa?
Mary Chirwa is the Director General of the Financial Intelligence Centre (FIC) in Zambia, a government agency responsible for regulating financial crime. Mary Chirwa was a guest of honour at the Nudge Global Impact Awards 2018. She wowed us with her brave dedication to the fight against corruption, money laundering and terrorism financing in Zambia under difficult circumstances.
In view of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), the Mary Chirwa Award has been put on hold for this year. More information will follow.
- A proven record of courageous leadership in a field related to one or more of the Sustainable Development Goal(s).
- A clear aspiration to make the world a better place.
- Must not be a celebrity or a well-known public figure.
- You may not nominate yourself.
Value of the Mary Chirwa Award:
- The laureate receives a cheque of US$5,000 to use for funding a cause related to the field she or he is recognised for.
- Recognition from our Mary Chirwa Award Committee.
- Invitation to the Nudge Global Impact Awards ceremony at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the Netherlands. Keynote speakers, CEOs and sustainability leaders from all over the world will attend.
Mary Chirwa Award Committee and Winners
Mary Chirwa Award Committee
H.R.H. Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parma
|Head of the House of Bourbon-Parma, member of the Dutch Royal Family|
|Former Prime Minister of Greece 2009-2011, MP for the Movement for Change alliance|
|Former Chair of the Board at Ben&Jerry’s|
|Owner at Governance and Integrity Nederland|
|Director General of the Financial Intelligence (FIC) Center in Zambia|
Winners Mary Chirwa Awards
If you want to download the Mary Chirwa foundation annual report (jaarcijfers) of 2019 please click here.
The board members of the Mary Chirwa Award foundation are: Marlon Sahetapy (treasurer), Joris Alberdingk Thijm (secretary) en Jan van Betten (chairman).